California Assembly Republican Caucus
First, Democrats refuse to get tough on fentanyl dealers. Now they’re blocking expanded access to Narcan and addiction treatment.
THE BACKSTORY: For weeks, Assembly Republicans have been demanding action to hold fentanyl traffickers accountable.
Democrats refused to act, claiming they prefer a public health approach to the crisis.
TODAY’S UPDATE: Democrats on the Assembly Appropriations Committee just killed bills to:
- Require Narcan in bars, gas stations, libraries & low-income housing.
- Ban discrimination against people being treated for opioid addiction.
- Improve data on how many Californians die from overdoses and what drugs are responsible.
- Cap licensing fees for alcohol & drug treatment programs.
- Provide grants for sheriffs to create Overdose Response Teams.
- Lay the groundwork for a database of available substance abuse treatment beds.
Assembly Republican Leader James Gallagher statement: “Democrats are not serious about stopping fentanyl poisonings. If they’re too out of touch to pass these common-sense bills, the ongoing carnage from the fentanyl epidemic is on them.”